Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Yes, it's me again

Dear Blog-

Phew! This time of year life just gets too darned busy. Last we talked I was up to my elbows in dirty wine glasses. I spent the whole day washing the dishes from the night before, and putting the house back in order. And they weren't even wild!

Makes me think of a time in my younger days when all parties were wild, going out with three of my work buddies and ending up back at this one woman's apartment to sit around and talk and drink a few beers. Ann had the MOST anal roomate, Miriam, who actually pressed her undies - I swear, I saw them in the drawer - and had all her bathroom things neatly lined up in the linen closet in alphabetical order. You can't make those kinds of things up. Ann ended up going to bed 'early' and told us we needn't leave right away on her account. So as soon as we were reasonably sure she was asleep, we rearranged all the furniture in the rest of her house, putting all the LR furniture neatly arranged in the dining room and vice versa. Even moved the artwork on the walls, the potted plants, the rugs, side tables, lamps, everything. It took us about an hour to do, what with extra bursts of laughter and stumbling over furniture. And then we quietly left. It seems that Miriam came home a few hours later and woke Ann up to ask what the heck had happened with the furniture. Ann told her to just go to bed, rolled over and went back to sleep. Yes, it was my idea. So next time you see me or any other fluffy, white-haired, bespectacled middle-aged knitter who thinks that having her book group over counts as a crazy night, think about the fact that we lost our vision and earned our grey hairs with wild living in our younger days. Remind me to tell you sometime about climbing the fence out of the baseball field at UC Berkeley in pointy-toed stilletto-heeled boots. On second thought, we're not going to talk about that.

Ok, I don't know what the heck that had to do with anything. Let me go flip my grilled cheese and pickle sammy.

Alright. Anyway, in between all the madness, I have been knitting. I was working on some Xmas ornaments from the Alan Dart Advent calendar pattern, and then a few days ago decided I had had enough of those for the moment, and started the Sheherazade shawl from Pink Lemon Twist. In a gorgeous smokey blue Merino Oro. Then realized that blind-as-a-bat owl woman can't knit that in the living room in the evening as she watches tv. First of all I HATE bright lighting, and this color just disappears when the sun goes down. And secondly the shawl is 99 sts wide and has no repeats. But dang, is it ever going to be gorgeous when it is done.

So I started my other project I was lusting after, to serve as an evening project. This is my Philosopher's Wool Colour Your Own in Ocean Spray colorway.

So now I have a complicated lace shawl in the works, and a fair isle sweater in the works.

Then the new issue of Knitty came out, and I fell in love with the gorgeous Argosy scarf. And yesterday when I went in to work I bought the yarn and started the thing, and am almost finished with the first ball of yarn. I just have two regrets (no, not the shawl and the sweater). I mistakenly picked out Silk Garden instead of Silk Garden Lite. I put this down to being a diligent employee and wanting to finish my transaction before I was due to start work in 3 minute's time. Sorry, stand back, I've gotta have my yarn first. Just let me buy my yarn and nobody will get hurt. My second regret is that I didn't get the gorgeous colorway that she shows in the pattern. So you can guess what version of this I shall make next. In the meantime, here is my version so far...

I artfull laid it out against the backs of a couple of Scheherazade charts so that you could see the yo pattern more clearly. And partly because I was too lazy to shove things aside and peel back the table cloth and take the picture properly.

So that is what I am doing right now, tomorrow I'll try to post about the other things I did in November and also put on a few pics of my Xmas decorates. I have a knitting tree.

Wav(er)ing madly while sitting perfectly still-

Lynda

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you don't have to get all of those projects done before Xmas! The scarf looks festive against the red plaid tablecloth. Makes me consider making another Arogsy as a table runner...You've inspired me!

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home