Thursday, October 25, 2007

Just Call Me 'Booger-Head'

This is how I look...



This is how I feel...

Dear Blog-

Yes, It's official. My 'really bad allergies' turned out to be a really bad cold. I have just now gone through an entire box of tissues in about 24 hours. Why don't sick people stay home where they belong? I kept thinking, 'This is pretty fierce for allergies, but if it was a cold, I'd know it.' In the middle of the night on Tuesday night, I woke up and thought, 'Lynda, you've got a cold.' And darned if I wasn't right. You know how it is when you have these profound revelations in the middle of the night.

Yesterday I was supposed to go to the Spinners & Weavers guild meeting (no, I don't do either one, but what a great group of people!) in the morning and then take my Mom for a Dr apt in the afternoon. I called M&D in the morning and begged off, if for no other reason than that they really, really don't need to have this. I was supposed to take Mom for another apt this morning, and then have a private lesson this afternoon, which rescheduled anyway. So at least 2 days at home, lounging about. Yesterday I did NO knitting, but spent most of the day on the couch, reading the greatest book, Charles Frazier's, 'Thirteen Moons'. He is the author of 'Cold Mountain', another favorite book of mine, and this one doesn't disappoint. I kept meaning to work on some knitting, get those soles on my aunt's slippers, but I couldn't put the darned book down. I finished it this morning at about 6 a.m. while DH was out at the grocery store, getting mucus medicine for me. I haven't done that for years, just spent a day reading a book and doing nothing else beyond the basics.

I did manage to get the soles sewn on the slippers. I also had in mind to decorate them with some sort of embroidery, but DH - always a wise husband - said that I should just send them to her, she won't care, and she really needs the slippers right about now. This morning, then, I will pack them up and I am sure he will take them to the PO for me and send them off.

The pattern is the Bunad Mukluks from 'Folk Style'. As you can see, they are essentially just a giant pair of socks, felted down. The pattern calls for an eyelet row with ties and tassels that hang down in back, but I just can't see my aunt with those, so I left out the eyelet row.


And then felted and blocked them...


And sewed on the soles. Am I the only person who has a hard time getting those soles to fit just right? I did pretty good with this pair, but still there is a pucker on the front of one slipper.

At any rate, out in the mail they shall go. I think they should be nice and warm for her.

Well, Blog, I am going to close for now. I'm tired of sitting here and ready for breakfast, then some serious lounging and knitting. DH is off today, and is going to take the LYSO's Mom to the airport this morning. It was either that, or I would go in to work for the LYSO while she took her Mom to the airport. Which violates my whole 'Stay home when you're sick so that you don't make other people sick' rule.

See you later,
Lynda

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are gorgeous. And fun to finally find out what you look like! (But, but, what happened to the recalcitrant-hippy-long-hair-freaky-people look...oh wait, no, that's me...)

11:38 AM  
Blogger Teaching Handwork said...

your work is beautiful. I am inspired to learn more patterns for knitting. I love the bags and the slippers!

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home